- July 30, 2020
- Posted by: Editor
- Category: Law
Malta is home to numerous foreigners who enjoy great living conditions, a proper business environment, and an advantageous educational system. The insular state provides numerous business opportunities, so the company relocation to this country can be a great solution for international investors in Malta. All the requirements for obtaining a visa for Malta or a residence permit in Malta can be explained by one of our immigration lawyers in Malta.
Who needs a visa for Malta?
Non-EU and EEA citizens, alongside the ones from UK and Switzerland, all of them considered third-country nationals, need to apply for a visa before relocating to Malta. In the case of foreign workers in Malta, a work permit is needed, a document that can be granted with the help of the Maltese employer or company owner. The Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs deals with the Single Permit applications and issues the work permits for non-EU citizens wanting to live and work in Malta. Here is a video presentation with complete details:
How can I relocate my company to Malta?
The company relocation process in Malta is quite simple and follows a series of steps that need to be attentively measured and respected. One of our immigration lawyers in Malta can provide legal assistance and support for foreign entrepreneurs who want to relocate their businesses in Malta and apply for a residence permit in Malta. Here are some important steps that form the company relocation process in Malta:
- The company owners need to create a resolution stating the relocation to Malta.
- The Certificate of Good Standing is part of the documents for company relocation.
- The administrators of the company in Malta need to sign a declaration comprising the decision of relocation to Malta.
- The Articles of Association of the foreign company must comply with the applicable laws in Malta – specific modifications need to be made.
A foreign company needs to be incorporated with the Maltese Trade Register, in order to legally activate, and before that, such information must be presented to the local authorities before starting the relocation process. In terms of entities, the limited liability company is the most used business structure in Malta that can be selected for company relocation in this country. One of our Maltese immigration lawyers can provide full assistance and guidance for company relocation in Malta, including for obtaining the needed licenses and permits for future activities in this country. Interested in Malta citizenship? Please talk to our advisors.
Other steps involved in Malta relocation
Foreign citizens wanting to relocate to Malta need to take care of other aspects too, such as accommodation or property rentals, a residence permit, and funds for sustaining the living in this country. If the accommodation part is simple due to the variety of properties available for rent or purchase, things change when it comes to obtaining permanent residence. According to the Malta Residence Programme, high net worth individuals must purchase a Maltese property worth no less than EUR 350,000 or pay around EUR 16,000 for an annual property lease. These aspects should be considered at the time the relocation to Malta is established. The Maltese authorities are entitled to verify the criminal record of foreigners wanting to relocate to Malta, in order to eliminate the suspicion of being a potential threat for this country. We mention that citizens from Iran, Afghanistan, and North Korea cannot apply for Malta Residence and Visa Programme. Here is a short recap of the steps involved in Malta relocation that you should consider before making this movement:
- Apply for the necessary type of visa if you are a citizen from non-EU/EEA countries.
- In the case of companies, prepare the necessary documents, among which, a declaration stating the relocation to Malta.
- Make proof of a health or medical insurance available in Malta.
- Look for accommodation in Malta – rent or buy a property.
- Register with the Maltese authorities and apply for a residence permit.
- Companies must register with the local authorities in the case of relocation, and then for taxation purposes.
The main steps for relocating to Malta can be explained by one of our immigration lawyers in Malta who can guide you throughout the visa application in Malta. They can also help you obtain the residence permit for Malta. Here are some facts and figures about immigration in Malta:
- There are around 99,000 foreigners living in Malta, as the latest statistics for 2019 reveal.
- According to the Malta Residence and Visa Programme, an investment of EUR 250,000 in government bonds can grant permanent residence.
- Non-EU/EEA citizens of at least 18 years of age can apply for the Malta Visa and Residence Programme.
Obtain permanent residence in Malta
The ordinary residence permit is available for 5 years, with the possibility of renewing it. In the care of permanent residence permits in Malta, these must be renewed each year. The Malta Global Residency Programme was introduced in 2013 in Malta and targeted third country citizens from a tax point of view. Buying or renting a property in Malta is the main requirement for entering this important programme that is already considered a success. We mention that Swiss and EEA citizens cannot participate in this programme. If you are interested in relocation to Malta and a permanent residence permit, please feel free to send your inquiries to one of our immigration lawyers in Malta. Professional assistance is required because the legislation related to immigration and Malta citizenship might seem complex.
The residence programme for EU citizens
For an investment of a minimum of EUR 275,000 for purchasing a property in Malta, EU nationals can enter the residence programme and benefit from varied advantages. The rental option is also a solution, but it is important to note that EU citizens cannot spend more than 183 outside Malta. This programme offers free travel with a Schengen visa, a flat rate of 15% on incomes generated in Malta, relocating with the whole family, and the possibility of working in this country without restrictions. In terms of documents and application, one of our Maltese immigration lawyers can offer legal assistance and supervision. You can get in touch with us at any time if you want to relocate to Malta and obtain a visa.
Reasons for relocating to Malta
Thinking of moving to Malta? The insular state provides great standards of living plus a wide range of advantages for young, middle-aged persons or seniors from overseas. Many successful industries and business sectors in Malta host a large number of companies established with foreign capital, operating in a secure and prolific environment. Here are a few reasons to consider for relocating to Malta, with the mention that the entire steps can be explained by one of our specialists in immigration:
- Surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea, the insular state has worldwide connections.
- Freelance professionals can easily work in Malta, benefiting from affordable costs of living.
- The financial and the gaming sectors are highly developed in Malta. Many investors from abroad have operations in these fields.
- Retiring to Malta? It is quite easy to retire to Malta and live in a safe and relaxed environment. The criminal rate in Malta is low.
- Looking for architectural treasures and natural beauties? Malta is an insular state that offers numerous attractions and plenty of opportunities in terms of holidays, travels, discoveries, etc.
- Malta is the smallest country in the EU and an important destination for a wide range of financial and insurance operations from abroad.
- The education and the healthcare systems are highly developed in Malta, another reason to choose this country for great standards of living and security.
- The residency programmes in Malta are appealing to both EU and non-EU citizens who want to relocate here with minimum requirements and conditions.
- Would you like to open a company in Malta or relocate the existing one? It is quite simple to do so, and you can ask for legal advice and support offered by a Maltese immigration lawyer.
- The taxation system presents a series of advantages to investors who join varied investment programmes in Malta. Our advisors can tell you more.
Choosing our immigration lawyers in Malta
The relocation to Malta is a straightforward process that comprises easy steps and requirements. The insular state is home to a large number of immigrants from all over the world who enjoy excellent standards of living in a country that puts the accent on good living conditions, business development, and many more. Specific residence and investment programmes require extra attention to matters of documents and conditions. This is where our professional lawyer with experience in immigration in Malta can offer in-depth legal advice and guidance. A foreigner relocating to Malta can skip the possible mistakes in matters of requirements and document preparation, and benefit from the services of our immigration law firm in Malta. Our calling card mentions professionalism, proficiency, experience, transparency, and competence, therefore, you can rely on our legal support right from the start. We work closely with our clients and we concentrate on their needs, to deliver the best possible outcomes.
Interested in moving to Malta? Feel free to get in touch with one of our immigration lawyers in Malta and find out how we can help.