According to the Maltese Citizenship Act, citizens from EU countries can acquire citizenship after six years of living in Malta, while non-EU individuals can obtain this status after 18 years. There is also the possibility of investing in Malta through a specific program that allows foreigners to gain Maltese citizenship. In any case, support from our team of immigration lawyers in Malta is required, and that to skip the bureaucracies and formalities with the Maltese authorities. Besides that, it is good to have legal counseling for dealing with these aspects and avoid possible errors in terms of documents for obtaining a residence permit in Malta. We can offer support if you want to immigrate to Malta.
|Nationalities accepted (EU/Non-EU)||
Both citizens of EU and non-EU countries are accepted
Business investment option (YES/NO)
Real estate investment option (YES/NO)
|Other investment options (if available)||
– national development fund,
|Living requirement in Malta (YES/NO)||
|Residence or direct citizenship option||
– Malta Permanent Residency Programme,
– Malta Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment
|Direct immigration with family members (YES/NO)||
|Family members allowed to join the program||
|Residence visa/citizenship processing time (approx.)||Between 3 to 7 months|
|Additional financial requirements for family members (YES/NO)||Yes|
|Timeframe for obtaining citizenship/residency by investment||No more than 12 months|
|Dual citizenship permitted (YES/NO)||Yes|
|Reasons to choose Malta||
– great taxation system,
– varied business opportunities,
– connection to large financial centers
|Personal income tax rate||35%|
|Visa free travel to other countries (approx. number of countries)||46|
Table of Contents
Maltese citizenship by marriage
Maltese citizenship can be obtained through marriage with a Maltese citizen after 5 years of living together. The application process is not complex, and one of our immigration lawyers in Malta can provide legal advice and assistance when preparing the documents. Here are a few of the important documents you need to prepare for the citizenship application in Malta:
- The marriage and the birth certificate of the applicant.
- A set of documents provided by the spouse (parent’s birth certificate, spouse’s birth certificate).
- A valid passport and the residence card of the applicant.
- The spouse’s identity card.
- A joint affidavit showing you have lived for at least 5 years in Malta.
The registration of citizenship is normally made with the department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs in Malta, with complete legal support provided by one of our immigration attorneys in Malta. We also mention that the citizenship application is subject to specific fees. Talk to us if you want to relocate to Malta.
We also prepared a video presentation with information on this topic:
What is Malta Individual Investor Program?
IIP or Malta Individual Investor Program was introduced in 2014 with the purpose of offering citizenship for high net worth persons and their families who make investments in this country. Such contributions and the entire program is overseen by the National Development and Social Fund in Malta. We would like to add that the Maltese Citizenship by Investment is not a complex process and the following conditions must be attentively measured at the time a foreigner is interested in this program:
- An investment of at least EUR 650,000 needs to be made to enter the program.
- In the case of spouse and children, a contribution of EUR 25,000 each is needed.
- Foreign investors also have the possibility of purchasing a property in Malta, with a market value of at least EUR 350,000.
- Property rentals are also allowed, for at least one year and a minimum annual rent of EUR 16,000.
Besides these requirements for obtaining citizenship by investment in Malta, it is good to note that the Maltese authorities have the right to solicit information about the source of funds and about the criminal record of the foreigner interested in this program, working closely with the international institutions. More than that, foreigners applying for IIP will have to be covered by an international health insurance policy that needs to be accepted in Malta. In the same medical area, the Maltese authorities will ask for a medical history that shows the citizen does not suffer from contagious illnesses. For further details about how to obtain Maltese citizenship by investment, you can address your inquiries to one of our immigration lawyers in Malta. They can provide you with complete details and guidance throughout the whole process and can tell you more about the Maltese passport and the ways you can obtain it.
Why relocate to Malta
There are various reasons to choose Malta as a new destination at a certain moment. Some people want to move to Malta to retire in this country, while others are looking for a simple way of living in a country that provides numerous advantages and great living conditions. The stable economy, the excellent geographic location, and the multitude of business offers are a few of the reasons to choose Malta for relocation. The following facts and numbers can tell you more about Malta:
- the recent 2020 Doing Business report issued by the World Bank ranks Malta 88th out of 190 economies in the world;
- around USD 207,000 million was the total FDI registered in Malta in 2019;
- the pharmaceutical, the financial and insurance sectors are the most prolific in Malta, hosting numerous foreign entrepreneurs and companies;
- Citizenship by Investment is offered to foreign individuals who contribute to the development of Malta.
Persons interested in obtaining a residence permit in Malta or Maltese citizenship are invited to contact our team of immigration lawyers in Malta and solicit information about the available program and conditions. Our specialists can help you immigrate to Malta.