According to the Maltese Citizenship Act, citizens from EU countries can acquire citizenship after six years of living in Malta, while non-EU individuals can obtain this status after 18 years. There is also the possibility of investing in Malta through a specific program that allows foreigners to gain Maltese citizenship in 2023. In any case, support from our team of immigration lawyers in Malta is required, and that to skip the bureaucracies and formalities with the Maltese authorities. Besides that, it is good to have legal counseling for dealing with these aspects and avoid possible errors in terms of documents for obtaining a residence permit in Malta. We can offer support if you want to immigrate to Malta.
|Nationalities accepted (EU/Non-EU)||
Both citizens of EU and non-EU countries are accepted
Business investment option (YES/NO)
Real estate investment option (YES/NO)
|Other investment options (if available)||
– national development fund,
|Living requirement in Malta (YES/NO)||
|Residence or direct citizenship option||
– Malta Permanent Residency Programme,
– Malta Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment
|Direct immigration with family members (YES/NO)||
|Family members allowed to join the program||
|Residence visa/citizenship processing time (approx.)||Between 3 to 7 months|
|Additional financial requirements for family members (YES/NO)||Yes|
|Timeframe for obtaining citizenship/residency by investment||No more than 12 months|
|Dual citizenship permitted (YES/NO)||Yes|
|Reasons to choose Malta||
– great taxation system,
– varied business opportunities,
– connection to large financial centers
|Personal income tax rate||35%|
|Visa free travel to other countries (approx. number of countries)||46|
Table of Contents
Maltese citizenship by marriage
Maltese citizenship in 2023 can be obtained through marriage with a Maltese citizen after 5 years of living together. The application process is not complex, and one of our immigration lawyers in Malta can provide legal advice and assistance when preparing the documents. Here are a few of the important documents you need to prepare for the citizenship application in Malta:
- The marriage and the birth certificate of the applicant.
- A set of documents provided by the spouse (parent’s birth certificate, spouse’s birth certificate).
- A valid passport and the residence card of the applicant.
- The spouse’s identity card.
- A joint affidavit showing you have lived for at least 5 years in Malta.
The registration of citizenship is normally made with the department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs in Malta, with complete legal support provided by one of our immigration attorneys in Malta. We also mention that the citizenship application is subject to specific fees. Talk to us if you want to relocate to Malta.
Foreign citizens without family relations in Malta can apply for Maltese citizenship if they already lived in the country for 4 cumulative years, and have had a permanent residence permit in the last 6 years. Additional details are provided by our local attorneys.
We also prepared a video presentation with information on this topic:
What is Malta Individual Investor Program and how was it replaced?
IIP or Malta Individual Investor Program was introduced in 2014 with the purpose of offering citizenship for high net-worth persons and their families who make investments in this country. This program has been replaced in 2020 with Malta Citizenship by Naturalization for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment. We would like to add that Maltese Citizenship by Investment is not a complex process and the following conditions must be attentively measured at the time a foreigner is interested in this program:
- An investment of at least EUR 600,000 needs to be made to enter the program.
- In the case of spouses and children, a contribution of EUR 25,000 each is needed.
- Foreign investors also have the possibility of purchasing a property in Malta, with a market value of at least EUR 350,000.
- Property rentals are also allowed, for at least one year and a minimum annual rent of EUR 16,000.
Besides these requirements for obtaining citizenship by investment in Malta, it is good to note that the Maltese authorities have the right to solicit information about the source of funds and about the criminal record of the foreigner interested in this program, working closely with the international institutions. More than that, foreigners applying for IIP will have to be covered by an international health insurance policy that needs to be accepted in Malta. In the same medical area, the Maltese authorities will ask for a medical history that shows the citizen does not suffer from contagious illnesses. For further details about how to obtain Maltese citizenship by investment, you can address your inquiries to one of our immigration lawyers in Malta. They can provide you with complete details and guidance throughout the whole process and can tell you more about the Maltese passport and the ways you can obtain it.
As it is known, Maltese citizenship by naturalization might take some time. As such, interested candidates must prove they haven’t stayed outside Malta for more than 6 months in 4 years. The application process can commence if you lived in Malta for 12 continuous years.
If moving to Malta is on your list of priorities, we recommend that you check all the legal aspects with one of our lawyers who is specialized in immigration issues. We can help you with the visa application form if you come from non-EU countries, the preparation of documents for obtaining residency, and even offer support if you want to make investments and gain this status. We assure our clients of a quick and uncomplicated relocation.
We can also help you apply for residency and move to Malta. If you need a digital nomad visa in Malta, contact us for legal assistance. You can also discover the following infographic we have prepared for you:
Maltese citizenship by naturalization – Main requirements
If you are interested in Maltese citizenship, you must keep in mind some aspects and formalities imposed in this direction. Among them, we mention:
- Applicants must be over 18 years old to access this program.
- Citizenship can be obtained after 36 months of residence in Malta and investments of at least EUR 600,000.
- But if you want citizenship in one year, then a minimum investment of EUR 750,000 is needed to qualify for the program.
- In addition to the above, applicants must also buy a property worth at least EUR 750,000 or rent one for at least EUR 16,000 per year.
- A donation of at least EUR 10,000 for an organization in Malta is also required.
- Both the main applicant and his family are accepted into the program mentioned above.
- The Maltese authorities will do a background check to ensure that the applicants have not been involved in financial crimes.
Citizenship by family reunification in Malta is granted in only a few cases and is a suitable scheme for children of current or former citizens of Malta, including family ties.
We remind you of the support of our team of immigration lawyers in Malta if you want to obtain citizenship in Malta. We can take care of the paperwork and other formalities related to this status.
How long does it take to obtain citizenship in Malta?
Once the authorities have approved the necessary documents for the citizenship application in Malta in 2023, the processing time should not exceed more than 3 months from the date of approval. Once the investments and donations are made, the naturalization process of the applicants begins. There is also an administration fee of approximately EUR 500 that must be paid when the naturalization process begins in Malta for each individual applicant.
Citizenship in Malta can be obtained by both EU and non-EU citizens. It is important to get an idea about the requirements imposed, and one of our lawyers can help you in this sense. He can also take care of the paperwork and the formalities related to the application. We mention that people interested in this status can also apply for family members, respectively, spouses, children, parents, and grandparents. Contact us for more details.
Other aspects related to citizenship that you should know
Applicants must take the Oath of Allegiance, which must be completed within a maximum of 6 months from the date of approval for naturalization. The authorities will then issue the Maltese passport and Certificate of Naturalization. These aspects can be explained in detail by one of our immigration lawyers in Malta, so do not hesitate to talk to us if you are interested in citizenship by naturalization in Malta.
Maltese Citizenship by Naturalization and benefits
Maltese citizenship comes with a number of advantages, among which we mention:
- Maltese passport allows free travel through Schengen countries and also other European countries. Malta has an agreement with over 183 countries in the world where, with the help of this passport, you will not need to apply for a visa.
- Having obtained Maltese citizenship, you can work anywhere in Europe, without restrictions related to premises or residence.
- Malta allows dual citizenship, so there is no need to give up your current citizenship to access this status.
- Also, both applicants who obtain Maltese citizenship and family members can receive a Maltese passport.
- Malta is among the countries with a stable economy and an extremely low crime rate. Family safety comes first, and this country offers optimal living conditions.
- The healthcare system in Malta is extremely appreciated and is one of the best in the world. You can access the services from the state and private environment, whenever you need them.
- Even if you obtain citizenship by naturalization in Malta, taxation will be done according to the country in which you obtain the income. Basically, you will be taxed for the income you get in your country of origin, if applicable. Otherwise, there is an advantageous tax scheme for those who obtain income in Malta.
Why relocate to Malta
There are various reasons to choose Malta as a new destination at a certain moment. Some people want to move to Malta to retire in this country, while others are looking for a simple way of living in a country that provides numerous advantages and great living conditions. The stable economy, the excellent geographic location, and the multitude of business offers are a few of the reasons to choose Malta for relocation. The following facts and numbers can tell you more about Malta:
- the recent 2020 Doing Business report issued by the World Bank ranks Malta 88th out of 190 economies in the world;
- around USD 207,000 million was the total FDI registered in Malta in 2019;
- the pharmaceutical, financial, and insurance sectors are the most prolific in Malta, hosting numerous foreign entrepreneurs and companies;
- Citizenship by Investment is offered to foreign individuals who contribute to the development of Malta.
Persons interested in obtaining a residence permit in Malta or Maltese citizenship are invited to contact our team of immigration lawyers in Malta and solicit information about the available program and conditions. Our specialists can help you immigrate to Malta.