Foreigners wanting to move to Malta can apply for Malta Residency Program which is also available for the entire family. Besides obtaining permanent residence, they can also freely travel throughout the Schengen Area, as Malta is part of this zone. Our immigration lawyers in Malta can offer legal advice and solutions to foreigners interested in obtaining the Maltese residency by investment, explaining all the conditions imposed.
|Nationalities accepted (EU/Non-EU)||
Yes, both accepted
Business investment option
Real estate investment option
|Other investment options (if available)||
– starting a business,
– contributions to Maltese economy
|Residence or direct citizenship option||
Permanent residence program based on property purchase of EUR 350,000
|Direct immigration with family members||
|Family members allowed to join the program||
|Timeframe for obtaining citizenship/residency by investment||
Citizenship after 1 year of residence for investments of EUR 750,000 and EUR 50,000/family member
|Dual citizenship permitted||
|Reasons to choose Malta||
– solid international financial center,
– great business conditions,
– appealing tax regime
|Visa free travel to other countries (approx. number of countries)||
More than 180
Table of Contents
Details about Malta Residency by Investment Program
Obtaining residency in Malta requires a minimum investment of EUR 250,000 in Maltese shares for a minimum of 5 years, plus EUR 30,000 non-refundable contribution to the government. There is also the possibility of renting a property or residence in the insular state for at least one year. Here are other conditions for obtaining residency in Malta, explained by one of our immigration attorneys in Malta:
- Purchasing a property worth at least EUR 320,000; or
- Renting a property for at least one year and EUR 16.000 for the entire lease.
There are several options through which you can receive residency in Malta, and foreigners should apply for the Malta Residence and Visa Program (MRVP). This program comes with a series of advantages that can be explained to you by one of our Maltese immigration lawyers. Here is a video presentation with extra details, mentioning that our experts can help you move to Malta:
Do I need a health insurance policy for living in Malta?
Yes, foreign citizens who join the Malta Residence and Visa Program will have to prove they have a private health insurance policy with a coverage of at least EUR 30,000 that also will apply to the family members. Our immigration lawyers in Malta will ensure that your visa and residence application is made correctly, by providing complete legal support and advice. A residence permit in Malta can be obtained with complete support offered by our team.
What are the benefits of MRVP?
The Malta Residence and Visa Program comes with a series of benefits that address foreign citizens interested in relocating to this country. For instance, the EU residence card issued at the same time with the visa offers the possibility of traveling without restrictions throughout the Schengen Area. This means there are no border controls, a great advantage offered by the MRVP. The following advantages are also significant:
- The initial investments are made only for the first 5 years.
- The family members are directly included in the program.
- The right to reside in Malta is granted for an indefinite time.
- A residence permit in Malta is issued relatively fast by the authorities who will, first of all, verify all the documents.
What is the validity of the residence permit in Malta?
The residence permit in Malta has a validity of 5 years, having the possibility of renewing it after this period for another 5 years. Let one of our advisors tell you more about this aspect.
Can I relocate my company to Malta?
Yes, company relocation is possible for foreign entrepreneurs interested in making profits in Malta. Once the de-registration of the company in the home country is made, the incorporation in Malta will be made in accordance with the Maltese Company Act and other important regulations. Numerous foreign entrepreneurs choose Malta for the great business possibilities and advantages, among which, a great tax system, excellent infrastructure than enhances the business collaboration worldwide, a skilled workforce, and many more. Here are some facts and numbers about the business direction in Malta, provided by Malta Chamber of Commerce:
- more than 25 foreign companies are registered every day in Malta;
- there are more than 31,000 companies with foreign stockholders in Malta;
- there are more than 83,000 registered companies in Malta;
- more than 800 companies are owned by Dutch citizens in Malta.
How can we help with the Malta residency investment program?
Legal advice and assistance are accorded from the beginning to those wanting to relocate to Malta, whether for a short or long time. Our Maltese immigration attorneys will initiate a discussion with the clients interested in obtaining residency in Malta, will evaluate your requests, propose the proper options, and then will prepare the necessary documents for this application before submission to the entitled authorities. The entire process can be overseen by one of our immigration lawyers in Malta, mentioning that legal advice is offered at the time the approvals are made by the authorities, followed by the investment process and property acquisition where specific contracts must be verified.
Choosing Malta for residency benefits
The small insular state offers the possibility of gaining residence by making specific investments. Many of the investors in Malta decide on the relocation process for varied reasons:
- A favorable tax system – there is no tax imposed on foreign incomes and there is no inheritance tax in Malta. This is quite beneficial for foreign entrepreneurs in Malta.
- Numerous investors are attracted by the gaming sector of Malta that offers huge opportunities for profits.
- Malta has worldwide connections, so the business collaborations can be properly developed.
- Malta is a significant financial center and a solid business destination from this point of view.
- The political and economic stability makes Malta highly attractive for financiers from around the world.
- The great standards of living enter the discussion when retiring or relocating to Malta. The healthcare system and education are representative in Malta.
- The process of registering a company in Malta or relocating a new one is simple. A Maltese lawyer with experience in this field can offer precise support in matters of formalities.
- Malta offers several investment programs through which foreigners can gain residency and even citizenship.
- Interested in the insular attractions of Malta? The country is highly appreciated from this point of view by tourists worldwide.
- The business opportunities are huge in Malta and freelance professionals can enjoy the advantages in terms of cost of living and more.
These are a few of the reasons to apply for residency in Malta and relocate to a country that offers a wide range of possibilities. If you need extra information about how to relocate to Malta, we invite you to talk to our immigration lawyer in Malta.
Is the Maltese residency application a complex process?
No, there is no need to worry about the procedures for Malta residency by investment, as the formalities are straightforward without complications. The first thing to consider is the minimum investment of at least EUR 250,000 in Maltese shares or property purchase worth at least EUR 320,000. The option of renting a property in Malta is available for EUR 16,000 per year. The good part of Malta residency by investment is that foreign investors can also apply for family members, as they are included in the program from the start. One should note that the authorities in Malta have the right to verify the source of investments and even refuse applicants for which the sources of funds are illicit. The clear criminal record is, therefore, an obligation at the time of application for Malta residency by investment. All the requirements for Malta residency by investment can be discussed with our experienced team of immigration lawyers in Malta. We are here to help you immigrate to Malta.
Short details about Maltese citizenship by residency
Gaining Malta citizenship by residency comes with a series of benefits for high-net-worth individuals who apply for this kind of program. The starting point of investments is EUR 650,000 or a property purchase of at least EUR 350,000. Just like for any investment program in Malta, a clear criminal record is required as part of the application, with the mention that the Maltese authorities will make a series of verifications. If you need to know if you qualify for citizenship by residency in Malta, you should get in touch with our Maltese immigration lawyers and see further information.
Choosing our specialists in immigration in Malta
Relocating to Malta is not a complex procedure, especially if applicants pay attention to the requirements, helped by an experienced team of immigration lawyers. We believe in a solid and correct communication with our customers right from the start, in order to know the intentions in terms of immigration and relocation. We treat each case with professionalism, complete attention, transparency, and proficiency, in order to achieve the best possible results for our clients. Visa for Malta, work permits, student visa, citizenship by investments, residency by investments, company relocation, and corporate immigration are important aspects covered by our experienced lawyers in Malta. No matter the reasons for your relocation or retirement to Malta, you are suggested to talk to our team of specialists and let them handle all the formalities implicated in the process.
If you would like to know more about the Malta Residency by Investment program, and about Malta citizenship, you are invited to talk to one of our immigration lawyers in Malta. Please contact us for complete legal assistance and representation throughout the entire relocation process to Malta. We can help you immigrate to Malta.