Malta is among the preferred destinations for persons looking for great business opportunities in a country that provides a stable economy and a wide range of advantages for foreigners. Malta’s investment visa program is quite successful among foreign investors from non-EU countries who can also obtain citizenship in this state. Our immigration lawyers in Malta are at your disposal if you want to obtain a visa for Malta or immigrate to Malta.
|Who can apply for Malta Permanent Residence and Visa Program?||
Non-EU citizens who want to make investments in Malta and gain residency
Malta Permanent Residence and Visa Program requirements for investors
– be at least 18 years of age,
– purchase a property worth at least EUR 350,000 or rent of at least EUR 16,000/year,
– annual incomes of at least EUR 100,000
Health insurance required (YES/NO)
|Verification of financial resources||Maltese authorities solicit specific financial documents to prove the source of income.|
|Are family members allowed in the program? (YES/NO)||
|Contribution fee for Malta investor visa applicant||
|Family member financial contribution to enter the residency program||
– EUR 30,000 for spouses and children,
– EUR 5,000 for parents and grandparents
|Malta Individual Investor Program requirements||
Investments of at least EUR 650,000 or EUR 150,000 in financial instruments
|Citizenship requirements for foreign investors in Malta||Living at least 1 year in Malta|
|Support for company relocation in Malta||We can manage the formalities for business formation, such as drafting the documents, apply for licenses and permits, register for taxation.|
|Legal advice for citizenship application (YES/NO)||
|Time frame for getting Malta investor visa||
Around 4 months
|Free case evaluation||
We evaluate your case before providing the necessary solutions.
|Reasons to choose Malta for investment||
– economic and political stability,
– great tax system,
– business opportunities,
– low crime rate
|Police certificate required||
A clear criminal record is required
Table of Contents
What is the eligibility for investment visa program?
MRVP or Malta Residency and Visa Program is the same thing as Malta’s investor visa program which is subject to specific conditions, such as:
- Be of at least 18 years of age and have a clean criminal record.
- Purchase a residence worth at least EUR 350,000 or rent one for at least EUR 16,000 per year.
- Purchase government bonds of EUR 250,000 and own them for at least 5 years.
- An annual income of at least EUR 100,000 needs to be proved.
Besides these requirements, European health insurance that needs to cover the entire family is needed. For a better understanding of the investment conditions in Malta and the type of visa involved you should talk to one of our immigration lawyers in Malta. They can also help you obtain Malta citizenship, and help you immigrate to Malta.
Are there any residency requirements for a Maltese visa for investors?
Yes, foreigners must use the purchased or rented house in Malta, alongside the family members. It is forbidden to rent or sublet the property you purchased in Malta, as part of your visa application. All the conditions about how to obtain a residence permit in Malta can be explained by one of our advisors if you get in touch with us.
Malta Citizenship Investment Scheme
MIIP is the Malta Individual Investor Program that aims at ultra-high net worth individuals who make substantial investments in this country. A minimum contribution of EUR 650,000 needs to be made by a foreign investor in Malta. There is also the option of investing EUR 150,000 in varied financial instruments accepted by the Maltese government. Renting a property in Malta for at least one year and EUR 16,000 is also an option for investors in Malta. MIIP comes with important benefits, like obtaining citizenship after living at least one year in Malta and having a second passport that allows free travel and no border controls in numerous countries worldwide. Those interested in this kind of program are advised to solicit legal guidance from our team of immigration lawyers in Malta.
Can authorities make some verifications for investors in Malta?
Yes, the Maltese authorities have the right to make a series of verifications, including the criminal record. The same authorities can proceed with due diligence and verify if the applicant for a Malta Investor Visa has a reputable status to join a specific investment program. It is important to note that the Maltese government collaborates with the International Criminal Court, however, a police certificate is required prior to the application to Malta Investor Visa. You can discuss all the legal aspects with one of our advisors and see how you can be helped from a legal point of view.
Relocating the company to Malta
The company relocation is often the choice of foreigners wanting a change the market and make profits in under countries that provide special or better business conditions. This is also the case of entrepreneurs interested in Malta’s great business environment. The relocation is not complex, but it is best to pay attention to a few requirements:
- First of all, the entrepreneur will have to de-register the company in the home country and announce the Trade Register about the relocation.
- A declaration stating the relocation needs to be signed by the administrators of the business prior to the relocation.
- The Articles of Association will have to be modified at the time the relocation is made.
- The foreign company will then be registered with the Maltese authorities.
In terms of business advantages and economic stability, Malta is a great option for international investors who want to expand their horizons and make profits in other markets too. They can benefit from a skilled workforce, great infrastructure, sea exits to countries worldwide, low company costs, an appealing tax system, and huge benefits for high net worth investors. The following facts and figures can show why you should choose Malta for investments:
- in matters of numbers, Malta registered a total FDI stock of around USD 207,000 in 2018;
- Malta signed more than 50 double tax treaties to avoid the fiscal evasion and protect the profits from paying the taxes twice;
- around 97% of the total FDI stock registered in Malta in 2018 was directed to the financial and insurance sector, one of the most prolific in the country, supervised by Malta Financial Services Authority;
- reduced tax rates are applicable to companies established in Malta’s free trade zones;
- for a minimum contribution of EUR 650,000, foreigners can obtain Malta citizenship. The family members are also included in this program.
FAQ about Malta investor visa
1. Who can access Malta investor visa program?
Foreigners of at least 18 years of age, with a clear criminal record who acquire a property of at least EUR 350,000 can apply for Malta Investor Visa.
2. Can I rent a property in Malta and join the residency and visa program in Malta?
Yes, property rentals worth at least EUR 16,000 per year grants the access to Malta Residency and Visa Program. One of our Maltese lawyers can explain the legal aspects of this significant program.
3. Can investments in governmental bonds allow foreigners to apply for Maltese residency?
Yes, purchasing government bonds of at least EUR 250,000 in Malta is another option for foreigners who want to relocate in legal terms in this country. One of the conditions is to own such government bonds for at least 5 years.
4. Do I need health insurance for Malta investor visa application?
Yes, European health insurance is required by the Maltese authorities for foreigners interested in a Malta Investor Visa, including for family members. All the requirements for Maltese visas can be entirely explained by one of our specialists. Talk to us if you want to move to Malta.
5. What are the requirements for ultra-high net worth individuals who want to make investments in Malta and obtain residence?
Ultra-high net worth individuals from foreign countries can enjoy the benefits of visa and residence programs available in Malta. With a minimum investment of EUR 650,000 made in Malta, such individuals can join the visa and residency programs available.
6. Can Malta investor visa grant citizenship to applicants?
Malta Individual Investor Program available for ultra-high net worth individuals can grant citizenship after living at least one year in the country. There are other advantages too that can be discussed from a legal point of view with our Maltese lawyers. They can help you move to Malta.
7. How powerful is the Maltese passport?
The Maltese passport is obtained right after citizenship and comes with varied benefits. Among these, the Maltese passport allows free travel among Schengen area countries, as there are no restrictions involved. If you would like to relocate to Malta, you can get in touch with us.
8. Is company relocation an option for foreigners who want to invest in Malta?
Yes, company relocation is a relatively straightforward process through which foreign entrepreneurs can start the activities in Malta. The first step in relocation is to de-register the company from the country of origin and then handle the formalities of incorporation in Malta.
9. Are there any residence permit fees in Malta?
Around EUR 5,000 is the fee that must be paid by the main applicant for a resident permit in Malta, while about EUR 1,000 is imposed for each family member. Talk to our experts and see how you can be helped.
10. How can a Maltese immigration lawyer help foreigners in visa and residency matters?
The requirements involved in visa and residence permits enter the attention of our specialists in immigration matters in Malta. All the legal aspects implicated in a visa and residence process can be attentively managed by our Maltese immigration lawyers. we are here to help you move to Malta.
Working with our immigration lawyers in Malta
Immigration rules for foreign investors may seem complicated at first glance. Legal issues related to certain visas or residence permits in Malta can only be explained by an immigration lawyer with experience in this field. It is recommended to consider specialized help offered by experts in the field and to make sure that any visa or residence permit application takes place without problems and without fear that it could be rejected.
Our clients benefit from complete, reliable, efficient, and transparent attention when they decide to collaborate with us. The specialized legal services are offered according to the presented case, and therefore customized accordingly. A free case evaluation or requesting a call back are two important options that you can use when getting in touch with us.
International entrepreneurs from non-EU/EEA countries can choose Malta for investments, respecting a few conditions. You are invited to talk to one of our immigration lawyers in Malta and find out more about the investor visa program. Contact us at any time and find out how you can relocate to Malta.