Indian citizens will have to observe the general rules regarding the needed visas to enter Malta. The Schengen visa is the short-stay visa for Malta, available for 90 days, with the possibility of renewing it. All the visa formalities that need to be respected by citizens from India can be explained and also handled by one of our immigration lawyers in Malta. We are at your disposal with complete legal advice for obtaining a residence permit in Malta.
How do I obtain a visa as an Indian citizen?
Malta is a Schengen member since 2007, and this status allows non-EU/EEA citizens to freely travel to other Schengen countries too. The same is available for citizens from India and here are the main rules for obtaining a visa, mentioning that one of our immigration lawyers in Malta can help:
- the standard application form must comprise personal details;
- a travel medical insurance with a coverage of at least EUR 30,000 is required;
- the passport must have a validity of at least 3 months prior to the arrival in Malta;
- the purpose of the visit and the itinerary in Malta must be comprised by a vis cover letter;
- the proof of the civil status is solicited;
- funds of at least EUR 48/day must be proved with the help of bank statements;
- also, proof of accommodation in Malta is required.
Here are a few of the most important conditions and requests that need to be respected at the time a visa application for Malta is made by an Indian citizen. We remind you that it is recommended to have the support of a Maltese immigration lawyer who knows the entire visa application process and who can offer legal assistance. We can also help you obtain a residence permit in Malta or apply for Malta citizenship.
Do I need a residence permit in Malta?
Yes, once you obtained the visa to enter Malta, it is required to continue with other formalities too, such as obtaining the residence permit that can be temporary or permanent. The Maltese residence permit will be issued depending on the length of your stay in this country, as a citizen from India. Such a document is required for Indians who intend to stay more than just 3 months in Malta. Here are a few examples of residence permits in Malta:
- The temporary residence permit – for Indian citizens who intend to study in Malta.
- The ordinary residence permit – for persons who intend to work in Malta.
- The permanent residence – for Indians who already lived in Malta for 5 years.
Is the MIIP program available for Indian citizens?
Yes, Malta Individual Investor Program or MIIP as it is known, allows citizens from India to do business in Malta and to gain citizenship and a second passport that comes with a few important benefits, such as, traveling with no restrictions in more than 160 countries worldwide. The MIIP application is not complex, but it is important to note that the Maltese authorities have the power to make complete verifications, including Interpol and International Criminal Courts to check persons from India who want to relocate to Malta through this program. A police certificate is also required as part of the application. In terms of investments, citizens from India moving to Malta will have to purchase a property worth at least EUR 350,000 to enter Malta Individual Investor Program or to rent a house for at least one year and a lease of EUR 16,000. The entire program also allows Indians to participate with the entire family, mentioning that specific contributions must be made for each member.
Joining MIIP requires that the application to be made with at year 4 months prior to the arrival in Malta, so you should get in touch with our Maltese immigration lawyers right away.
Why relocate to Malta
Malta provides a wide range of benefits to foreigners interested in moving to this small insular state. The low rate of crimes, the stable and booming economy, plus the possibility of making investments and developing a business in a great environment, make Malta a good choice for foreigners, including for Indians. We have gathered some interesting facts and figures about Malta’s economy and population that you might find interesting:
- being ranked 88th out of 190 economies in the world, by the 2020 Doing Business report issued by the World Bank, makes Malta a favorable business destination;
- there are more than 31,000 foreign companies established in Malta;
- around USD 206 billion was the total FDI stock for 2018 in Malta;
- the 2019 reports show there were around 3,200 Indian citizens established in Malta.
Indian citizens who want to know more about the relocation process to Malta are invited to contact our team of immigration lawyers in Malta. Malta citizenship application can be assisted by our advisors.