The job market has changed a lot in recent years and now companies offer opportunities that until recently may have seemed like mere ideas. Maltese digital nomad visa is for non-EU nationals who can work remotely if their company allows it. In other words, this is an opportunity to work from anywhere in the world, in this case, in Malta, with the help of a Maltese nomad visa. The formalities are quite simple, and an immigration lawyer in Malta can provide you with the necessary support to obtain a nomad residence permit in Malta.
|Who can obtain the digital nomad visa in Malta?||
EU and non-EU nationals who want to work remotely from Malta.
Requirements for digital nomad visa for Malta
– valid passport,
– proof of employment,
– health insurance,
– clear criminal record
At least EUR 2,700 as monthly income
|Letter of intent required (YES/NO)||Yes|
|Nomad residence permit in Malta||
Issued at the same time with the digital nomad visa for Malta
|Residence permit requirements||
– proof of domicile in Malta,
– proof of income,
– Europass CV,
– legalized birth certificate
|Physical stay requirements (YES/NO)||
|Validity of a Maltese digital nomad visa||
|Can I bring family members with a digital nomad visa? (YES/NO)||No|
|Visa free travel within the Schengen Area (YES/NO)||Yes|
|Time frame for getting a digital nomad visa in Malta||
Around 15 days
|Legal advice for digital nomads who want to set up companies||
We can manage the incorporation formalities and procedures in Malta.
English and Maltese
|Reasons to apply for a digital nomad visa in Malta||
– work & life balance,
– economic and political stability,
– new business opportunities,
– no taxation for personal incomes generated outside Malta
|Free case evaluation||
Customers can receive an evaluation for their case, made by our immigration lawyers in Malta.
Table of Contents
How to Get a Maltese Digital Nomad Visa
Are you interested in becoming a digital nomad in Malta and need a visa? It is necessary to review the eligibility criteria, to be able to find out if you meet the rules. Here’s what the digital nomad visa application for Malta entails:
- A monthly income of at least EUR 2,700 is one of the conditions for obtaining a Maltese digital nomad visa.
- Applicants must provide proof of employment in their country of origin.
- Applicants for the Maltese digital nomad visa must have a valid passport.
- There is also a need for health insurance to cover any medical emergencies in Malta.
- The authorities reserve the right to check the criminal record, and if a criminal history is discovered, then the Maltese nomad visa application may be rejected.
In addition to the above, applicants for Maltese digital nomad visa and nomad residence permit in Malta, applicants must complete standard forms and submit a letter of intent explaining the reasons for relocation to Malta. We invite you to talk to our immigration lawyers in Malta about digital nomad in Malta and find out what formalities are involved. We can handle the paperwork as soon as you contact us, so you can be sure that the application is correct. If you want to obtain a residence permit in another country, such as Austria, we can put you in touch with our local partners. If you are interested in immigrating to Malta from another country, such as USA or UK, we can offer you professional legal advice.
Residency in Malta is recommended for foreigners, from EU and non-EU countries, who want to relocate to this country. Although the formalities are straightforward, legal advice and tailor-made services are needed to be able to prepare the entire process and to avoid possible complications or errors. It is important to mention that this process can take around 3 months, after which the residence permit will be issued. Discuss all legal aspects with one of our specialists.
Details about nomad residence permit in Malta
With the application for the digital nomad visa for Malta, the candidates enter the process of obtaining a nomad residence permit in Malta, especially if they intend to live in this country for a year. In addition to the above criteria, third-country nationals must provide proof of residence in Malta by presenting an apartment rental agreement,
The authorities also ask for a Europass CV, proof of income, and a statement promising that you have enough funds to pay for medical problems if they are not covered by the insurance policy.
Apostille and the legalization of birth certificates of family members are mandatory for those who apply for a nomad residence permit in Malta. So, there are quite a few formalities to keep in mind if you are interested in digital nomad Malta. Do not hesitate to talk to our immigration lawyer in Malta and get legal help and assistance for the necessary paperwork.
Those who want to apply for citizenship in Malta can also do this for family members, as part of the process. We recommend that you talk to our immigration lawyers in Malta and find out what formalities are involved in this process. There is also a direct citizen option with the help of the programs implemented by the Maltese government. Thus, you have the option to invest in real estate or create a business to apply for citizenship.
Taxes for Malta digital nomad
Third-country nationals who manage to obtain a nomad residence permit in Malta do not have to worry about personal income tax because it does not exist. In other words, only the taxes paid by the company you work for in your home country remain valid. However, you should be aware of the consumption tax in Malta as VAT is charged for goods and services.
Here is a video presentation about how to get a digital nomad visa in Malta:
Maltese freelance visa – Guidance for foreigners
Freedom of movement and flexibility are attributes of working as a freelancer. Citizens from non-EU countries can apply for a Maltese freelance visa and work without restrictions in this country.
Working as a freelancer means being full-time self-employed, but you need to comply with the requirements and conditions imposed by the authorities where you want to relocate, in this case, Malta. Let’s review some of the formalities, with the mention that the legal aspects can be properly managed by one of our immigration lawyers in Malta:
- Jobs Plus is the platform offered by the Maltese government for registering as self-employed in this country. Complete the self-employment form.
- Next is the registration with National Insurance for the payment of the related fees. Taxation is done every year, finally, you must complete the tax return with incomes, profit, and losses.
- Registration for VAT payment is required if you exceed the sales threshold of EUR 30,000 per year.
- As a freelancer in Malta, you must organize yourself and keep business-related invoices.
- If you take care of the company’s accounting, you must use a dedicated program. You can also contact an accounting firm in this regard.
- The Nomad Residence Permit is the necessary document for freelancers who want to live in Malta and is only valid for non-EU citizens.
Those interested in moving to Malta have specialized help from our lawyers. We can help our clients with visa formalities, residence permits, registration with local authorities, and work permit. We will provide you with a process as simple and fast as possible so that you can focus on relocating to this country. contact us to discover all our legal services.
Getting the Nomad Residence Permit for Malta
As mentioned above, non-EU citizens must apply for NRP and Nomad Residence Permit. Among the formalities imposed is a minimum income of at least EUR 2,700 per month. You also need to pay a registration fee of approximately EUR 300, also valid for family members. Here are other formalities to take into account:
- You must have medical insurance, which covers the costs of the interventions, on the territory of Malta.
- If you also apply for family members, an extra contribution of approximately EUR 540 per person is required.
- The Maltese authorities will do a background check and ask for police records.
Therefore, if you want to apply for a Maltese freelance visa, it is good to take into account the formalities mentioned above. And to make sure that the whole process will be free of legal problems, we recommend that you discuss all aspects with one of our immigration lawyers in Malta.
Reasons to choose Malta for freelance work
If you are thinking of applying for a Maltese freelance visa, it means that you already know the benefits offered by the climate in this country. We can review some of them:
- Foreign citizens choose Malta for its well-developed healthcare system. You will not have problems with communication because English is spoken.
- Education is another aspect to take into account if you want to relocate to Malta with a Maltese freelance visa. The educational system is one of the best in the world, being able to opt for both public and private schools.
- Malta’s stable and progressive economy is on the list of foreign investors who want to access this market. The GDP for 2021 was around 5.4%.
- The digital innovation sector is among the most sought-after, due to the rapid development it has experienced. You can work as a freelancer in this area as well.
Why be a digital nomad in Malta
Malta is an extremely cosmopolitan and multicultural small island state that attracts a large number of foreign investors and tourists alike every year. As things have changed and it is now very easy to work remotely, many companies are relocating employees, and Malta is one of their favorite destinations.
The country is known for high standards of living, excellent infrastructure, high-speed internet, excellent charging system, simple connections with the countries on the continent, and a community of expats in which integration is very easy. Here are some statistics on immigration and the Maltese population:
- Malta’s population is about 443,300, according to worldometers.info.
- About 19% of the total Maltese population is made up of immigrants, with approximately 85,000 foreigners living in Malta.
- Most immigrants to Malta come from countries such as the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, and France.
- Malta is also known for providing a better life for asylum seekers. Thus, in the first 6 months of 2020, more than 1,600 asylum seekers were already registered.
Want more information about being a digital nomad in Malta? You are invited to contact our team of immigration lawyers in Malta and discuss all legal issues. We are here to help you get your Malta nomad visa. If you want to get citizenship for Antigua&Barbuda or other countries, we can put you in touch with our local partners. Those who want to retire to Malta can obtain legal support from our immigration lawyers.