Moving to Malta from South Africa requires specialized support in charge of the procedures and formalities. As such, if you are from South Africa and you want to immigrate to Malta, we suggest you talk to one of our Maltese immigration lawyers and find out information about the visa regulations. We are here to help you move to Malta in a fast manner.
Citizens from South Africa prefer Malta for investments and great standards of living, among so many advantages this country can offer. An appreciated medical system, alongside education and infrastructure, plus a wide range of business opportunities, here are a few of the reasons why South Africans choose Malta for immigration and relocation.
Table of Contents
Do I need a visa to enter Malta as a citizen from South Africa?
Yes, a Maltese Schengen visa is needed for South African citizens who want to enter and move to Malta. Here are the requirements for a short-stay visa for Malta, mentioning that it can be extended, on request:
- A short-stay visa is valid for 3 months. After this, the extension application is required.
- The passport must have a validity of at least 10 years.
- The visa application form must comprise personal information.
- A letter of employment is solicited by the Maltese authorities for South Africans who accepted jobs in Malta.
- Information about the bank statements for the past 6 months is required.
- Self-employed citizens from South Africa will have to offer a copy of the business license.
- No Object certificate from a university or college in Malta is needed for students moving to this country.
These are a few of the necessary documents for a Maltese visa. One should note that such a visa is the same thing as a Schengen visa and it comes with a series of advantages, among which, is the possibility of visiting other Schengen countries (28 in total) without restrictions or border controls. Our immigration lawyers in Malta can take care of all the visa formalities for South African citizens, so please, let us handle all the details and give complete legal advice. We can also help you obtain residency in Malta or even Maltese citizenship.
Is residency by investment in Malta available to South Africans?
Yes, citizens from South Africa can join the Malta Residency by Investment Program for a minimum investment of EUR 250,000 in Maltese shares and a contribution of EUR 30,000 to the government. The family members can also join the program. South Africans can purchase shares or property worth at least EUR 320,000 to enter the Malta Residency by Investment program. There is also the possibility of renting a property in Malta and paying the lease for an entire year. It is important to have legal support from an experienced lawyer in Malta immigration and be prepared in terms of documents and eligibility criteria. You can talk to us and find out all the needed details regarding this program.
A residence permit in Malta can be obtained in about 3 months if all the formalities involved are respected. We mention that one of our lawyers in Malta can offer you specialized help because they have experience in immigration issues. Health insurance, a valid passport, and proof of personal funds are among the documents that must be prepared in this regard. We also mention that after obtaining this document you need to register with the local authorities. But all legal aspects can be explained to you by our specialists.
Maltese Golden Visa for South African citizens
Citizens from South Africa who want to immigrate to Malta can apply for a Maltese Golden visa. Here are some details about what this entails:
- Application preparation time is around 4 weeks, but the processing time might last around 7 months.
- Initial approval and property purchase might take around 3 months.
- Once all the formalities have been met, a permanent residence card is issued in Malta for South African citizens.
The benefits of Maltese residence for South African citizens
The Maltese Golden Visa comes with a series of advantages for citizens who want to relocate from South Africa to Malta, through this program. Among the most important benefits, we mention:
- There is no need for them to reside or live in Malta to benefit from this status.
- It can also be applied to family members (wife, children, parents, grandparents) and there is no age limit for children.
- Investments to obtain permanent residence in Malta can be made after initial approval by the immigration authorities in this country.
- You can travel without restrictions in the Schengen Area and there is no expiration date for permanent residency in Malta.
We recommend specialized legal support from our immigration lawyers in Malta for South African citizens who want to relocate to this country.
Can a citizen from South Africa buy a property in Malta?
There are no restrictions on the acquisition of properties by South African citizens, especially if it is about accessing the program for obtaining permanent residence in Malta. However, state properties cannot be acquired in any form. Also, citizens from South Africa must first obtain an Acquisition of Immovable Property permit to be able to buy a property in Malta. More about moving to Malta from South Africa can be solicited from our experts.
The taxation system for South Africans who immigrate to Malta
Taxation of South African citizens is based on residence, respectively domicile in Malta, if they choose to live here indefinitely. Thus, South African citizens are considered residents of Malta after 183 days of physical presence in this country. This assumes that incomes are subject to the taxation system only if they are generated in Malta. Here is other essential information in this regard:
- Maltese non-residents are levied only on Malta source income and other gains.
- Non-domiciled Malta residents are levied on payment only on foreign-source income, not on foreign-source capital. As such, a minimum tax of EUR 5,000 is imposed.
- The same minimum tax applies to citizens who receive at least EUR 35,000 in annual income outside Malta. Income and capital gains in Malta are subject to personal income taxes.
- Also, the capital gains issued outside Malta will be separated from the Maltese tax whether paid in Malta or not.
You can find out more information about the taxation system in Malta for South African citizens immigrating here from our experts. Dedicated legal services are provided to those interested in moving to Malta from South Africa.
Applying for Maltese citizenship as a South African citizen
If you are a South African citizen with permanent residence in Malta, you should know that at some point you can apply for citizenship. This is only valid for those who have lived in Malta for at least 6 years and who can prove their permanent residence permit. As it can be quite a complex process, especially for foreign citizens from outside the European Union, we recommend specialized legal services. You can contact our Maltese immigration lawyers for personalized assistance. We can explain the procedures for moving to Malta from South Africa.
Short steps for moving to Malta from South Africa
Those interested in moving to Malta from South Africa should know that this is not a complex process, but should pay attention to a few steps involved in relocation, mentioning that complete support can be provided by one of our Maltese immigration lawyers:
- First of all, it is recommended to verify the type of visa you need;
- Look for accommodation in Malta within a couple of months prior to the arrival;
- Submit the required documents for a Maltese visa;
- Make sure you comply with the financial requirements for a Maltese visa and a residence permit in Malta;
- You should solicit legal advice from a Maltese immigration attorney if interested in Malta’s investment programs.
Company relocation from South Africa to Malta
Entrepreneurs from South Africa can discover an appealing business climate with possibilities in sectors like tourism, manufacturing, FMCG, innovation, retail, e-commerce, and many more. Once detected in the chosen business field, company relocation is quite simple. First of all, one must de-register the company from the home country and then start the incorporation formalities in Malta. The Articles of Association, the main documents of the firm will have to be modified with the new information regarding the country in which the activities will develop, in this case, Malta. We can also handle the company relocation to Malta for entrepreneurs interested in moving to Malta from South Africa. The following facts and figures highlight the economic direction of Malta:
- In 2022, the economy of Malta registered a growth of around 6.9%, mostly sustained by the export of services, and tourism recovery.
- In 2023, economic growth is predicted to moderate to 3.9%, due to high inflation that affected Europe and other continents.
- A GDP expansion of around 4.1% is set to be registered in 2024, sustained by persistent net migration flows.
If you would like to move to Malta, our suggestion is to choose the legal services offered by our lawyers. They specialize in immigration issues and can explain the formalities involved in this process. We will make sure that our clients benefit from a process free of errors and complexities so that the relocation is done quickly, obtaining the necessary visa and residence permit.
Are you interested in citizenship in Malta? You can opt for the services offered by our lawyers. You will thus understand all the legal aspects, formalities, and procedures involved. We want our clients to benefit from all the support to achieve their desired goals, in this case, citizenship. You can rely on communication, efficiency, and professionalism when you collaborate with our law firm.