Immigrating to Malta is an option of interest to citizens of many countries in the world, including Russia. Even though for the time being the Maltese government has blocked citizenship and residence applications for Russian citizens due to the current political situation, the rules for entering Malta remain unchanged. If you plan to immigrate to Malta from Russia, after the authorities allow this again, we invite you to discover the following ways and formalities. We remind you that our immigration lawyers in Malta can offer you specialized legal advice.
Table of Contents
What visa is required to enter Malta as a Russian citizen?
Malta is part of the Schengen Area, so you need to apply for a Schengen visa. Here are the formalities you should consider if you want to immigrate to Malta from Russia:
- In addition to the standard forms provided by the immigration authorities, you need to attach two passport photos.
- The passport valid for at least 3 months must be presented.
- Travel medical insurance is required to cover costs of at least EUR 30,000.
- The Maltese authorities require travel documents such as a return flight ticket if the stay does not exceed 3 months.
- Information about the new domicile in Malta is required on the date of application for the Schengen visa.
- A visa cover letter is a document that should contain information about the purpose of the visit to Malta, as well as the itinerary in this country.
- Applicants must provide proof of income, around EUR 48 per day.
- If you apply for a visa after accepting a job, you need to present the employment contract.
- As a self-employed person, you must prove a business license.
In the case of Russian students in Malta, they must present a letter of approval from the university. Also, those who want to retire and live in Malta must prepare a pension statement for the last 6 months, in order to receive the necessary visa. Do not hesitate to talk to our Maltese lawyer if you want to relocate to Malta from Russia. If you are interested in immigrating to Malta from other countries, such as USA or UK, we can offer you professional legal advice.
Getting a residence permit in Malta – What are the conditions?
If you want to immigrate to Malta from Russia you must consider the conditions for obtaining a residence permit. This document will be issued depending on the period in which you plan to live in this country. Let’s review some of the formalities:
- A minimum investment of EUR 250,000 in real estate in Malta guarantees residency for 5 years in Malta.
- Also, in order to obtain a residence permit in Malta, you can rent a house, for a minimum of EUR 16,000 per year.
- Proof of financial assets of at least EUR 150,000 to obtain residency in Malta is also accepted.
But Russian citizens also have the opportunity to access the Malta Ordinary Residence Program if they want to stay in this country for at least 6 months. Financial stability, buying or renting a property, and bringing a family to Malta are among the conditions to enter this program and obtain residency. We invite you to discuss several legal issues with one of our immigration lawyers in Malta. Those who want to retire to Malta can obtain legal support from our immigration lawyers.
Reasons to relocate to Malta from Russia
There are many reasons to move to Malta from Russia. In addition to the high standards of living for which this country is known, you can also list the business opportunities that can take place in a stable economic environment, but also a young and experienced workforce. Multiculturalism, diversity, the advantageous tax system, and the fact that English is spoken in Malta are other aspects to consider when you want to relocate to Malta from Russia.
Want more details on how to immigrate to Malta from Russia? All you have to do is contact our immigration law firm in Malta and seek specialized advice.