Relocating to Malta comes with a series of advantages and numerous foreign citizens believe this country provides a good quality of life and varied business opportunities and development. This is also the case of citizens from the USA who decide on relocating to Malta. The good news is that there is no need for a Maltese visa to enter the country, so the relocation process will be quite simple, following a few important steps. However, it is recommended to talk to our immigration lawyers in Malta and find out more about how you can move to this country.
If you want to obtain a residence permit in Malta or Malta citizenship, our immigration lawyers can help you.
Do I need a visa to enter Malta as a US citizen?
No, there is no need to apply for a visa as a US citizen who wants to enter Malta. More than that, just like Canadian or Australian citizens, Americans can stay up to 90 days in Malta without a visa. However, it is necessary to register with the Maltese authority and apply for a temporary or a permanent residence permit, depending on your stay. Here are some important steps to pay attention to at the time you start the relocation to Malta:
- search for a place to stay, prior to the arrival to Malta;
- prepare the personal documents and apply for a temporary or a permanent residence permit, by getting in touch with our team of immigration lawyers in Malta;
- you should close the utility contracts in USA before moving to Malta;
- make sure you notify the local authorities in USA about your relocation to Malta, in order to solve the tax requirements among other aspects.
The relocation process to Malta from USA is not complicated, but legal advice and recommendations should be solicited from our team of immigration attorneys in Malta, particularly for residence permit applications.
Obtaining the Maltese residence permit
Obtaining temporary or permanent residence in Malta is a process that should be started within a couple of months. In most cases, an Ordinary residence permit is issued for persons staying for more than just 3 months in Malta, a rule that also applies to American citizens. In the case of the permanent residence permit, this is issued after 5 years of living in Malta. We remind that one of our Maltese immigration attorneys will provide assistance and legal guidance for residence permit applications where the authorities ask for a valid passport, a lease contract of the property you will live in Malta, and some photos.
If you are interested in obtaining a residence permit in Malta, contact our immigration lawyers.
Can I relocate my US company to Malta?
Yes, foreign investors from USA can easily relocate their companies in Malta, by simply following a few important steps that require complete attention, mostly regarding the formalities and documents comprised. First of all, one should start the de-registration process with the local authorities in US and then prepare a set of documents for company registration in Malta. The Articles of Association, the Certificate of Good Standing, and the Certificate of Incorporation must be among the necessary documents for registration of the firm in Malta. Here are a few short steps related to the US company relocation in Malta:
- De-register the business in US.
- Find a new business place in Malta.
- Prepare the documents for company registration in Malta.
- Register for tax purposes and social contributions in Malta.
- Hire local staff for your activities in Malta.
In the same process of company relocation, business owners will have to ask for support and legal advice when hiring employees from US, and that to arrange the work permits. You can get in touch with one of our Maltese immigration lawyers and find out more about how we can help with the relocation from USA.
Reasons why you should relocate to Malta
Relocating to Malta is based on personal reasons, but in most cases, these reasons relate to a number of advantages provided by this country. For instance, a favorable tax regime, great standards of living in a Mediterranean style, and appreciated education system, great connections with major business hubs worldwide by air, sea, and land, plus a strengthened economy that continues to develop are in most case sufficient reasons for people wanting to relocate to Malta. The following numbers highlight a few aspects of Malta’s population:
- More than 21% of the citizens living in Malta are foreigners.
- The latest statistics for 2019 reveal that there are around 494,000 citizens living in Malta.
- Most of the foreigners in Malta come from UK, Italy, Germany, and France.
- Malta ranks 88th out of 190 worldwide economies, according to the 2020 Doing Business report issued by the World Bank.
We invite you to contact our team of immigration lawyers in Malta and find out more about how to relocate from USA to Malta. They can help you apply for Malta citizenship.